December 2022 crude steel production
World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 140.7 million tonnes (Mt) in December 2022, a 10.8% decrease compared to December 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.1 Mt in December 2022, down 8.9% on December 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 104.9 Mt, down 9.2%. The EU (27) produced 9.2 Mt, down 16.7%. Europe, Other produced 3.4 Mt, down 19.2%. The Middle East produced 3.7 Mt, up 0.4%. North America produced 8.8 Mt, down 9.9%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.2 Mt, down 28.4%. South America produced 3.3 Mt, down 3.8%.
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021.
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Pakistan, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Türkiye, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 77.9 Mt in December 2022, down 9.8% on December 2021. India produced 10.6 Mt, up 0.8%. Japan produced 6.9 Mt, down 13.1%. The United States produced 6.5 Mt, down 8.3%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.5 Mt, down 11.3%. South Korea produced 5.2 Mt, down 11.6%. Germany produced 2.7 Mt, down 14.6%. Türkiye produced 2.7 Mt, down 20.0%. Brazil produced 2.5 Mt, down 5.2%. Iran produced 2.7 Mt, up 3.3%.
e – estimated. Ranking of the top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
2022 global crude steel production totals
Total world crude steel production was 1,878.5 Mt in 2022, a 4.2% decrease compared to 2021. Please see the Steel Data Viewer for the complete listing of annual production totals by country.
e – annual figure estimated using partial data or non-worldsteel resources.
* The world total production figure in this table includes estimates of other countries that only report annually.
Tell Us What You Think